NaturalSociety September 29, 2011
Being conscious about your daily eating habits is essential to natural fat loss that is both effective and long-lasting. Embedding just 7 habits of truly healthy people into your daily schedule can lead to a noticeable difference not only in your physique, but in your overall self-appreciation and focus.
1. Truly healthy people do not ‘diet’
Avoiding the latest diet trend is the first step to powerful and lasting fat loss. Popular diets that put emphasis on consuming high amounts of one food item and avoiding essential macronutrients will only set you up to fail. Studies have found that the number one predictor of future weight gain is actually being on a diet right now. Restricting calories and essential nutrients on fad diets leads to a decrease in strength, bone density, and muscle mass. The reduction in muscle mass is especially important because muscle mass is your body’s number one fat burner. Instead of dieting, eat a wide variety of unprocessed and nutrient-dense foods, preferably from high-quality organic sources.
2. Do not eat fat-free products
Contrary to the failed belief of the low-fat diet, fat does not make you fat. In fact, fat is necessary to process certain nutrients such as vitamin A, D, and E. These vitamins will aid your body in the fight against unwanted fat accumulation, especially vitamin D. Supplementing with vitamin D has been found to reduce fat in the most challenging area — the abdomen.
There is even more research confirming the ineffectiveness of cutting fat from your diet. A study based in Europe observed nearly 90,000 people for several years and discovered that participants eating a low-fat diet had the exact same risk of being overweight as those who ate whatever they wanted.
3. Chew Your Food and Take Your Time Chewing your food properly is the key to eating less and digesting it more easily, two properties that lead to powerful fat loss benefits. Chewing your food an average of 40 times instead of the average 12 led to a 12 percent reduction in food consumption, which translates to the average person losing around 25 pounds per year.
4. TV Siphons Hours from Your Life, and Increases Your Body Fat Nearly 30 percent of people who watch more than four hours of TV a day have a BMI of 30 or higher. Even more shocking, every hour of TV you watch shortens your life by 22 minutes.
5. Protein Equals a Supercharged Metabolism Research shows that a breakfast high in protein can boost metabolism for up to 12 hours after consumption. Studies have also found that those who consume a breakfast rich in protein experience more appetite control. This also extends throughout the day, cutting unnecessary food consumption. Simply eating more protein at the start of your day can have natural metabolism-boosting effects.
6. Healthy People Exercise Correctly Endless hours of cardio can actually hurt you more than it helps you. Incorporating High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) into your exercise routine will burn fat for more than 24 hours after its completion, whereas the fat burning effects of traditional cardio end upon completion. Weight training is also essential for sustainable fat loss. Even women should be working with weights 3-4 times per week, as muscle mass is a very powerful fat burner that works 24/7 even when you are not physically active.
7. Truly Healthy People Never Consumer High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Numerous studies have linked HFCS to obesity. This widely used unhealthy sweetener turns into fat way faster than any other sugar, and causes far more negative metabolic effects due to the fact that is is consumed in lipid form. Eliminating HFCS from your diet can lead to noticeable results in a very short period of time.